How Invisalign Treatment Straightens Your Teeth
June 1, 2023
How Invisalign Treatment WorksInvisalign clear aligners are removable orthodontic trays custom-made to straighten teeth. They are made from a unique plastic material that fits snugly over your teeth. When you visit the dentist in New York, NY, for Invisalign, they will first evaluate your dental issues. They will take dental X-rays and scans to determine if you can benefit from the treatment. Then, they will take 3D images of your teeth and jaws and send them to the Invisalign computerized system. The system allows the dentist to visualize your smile goals. It helps to create an individualized treatment plan that involves the fabrication of aligner trays. A series of Invisalign trays are created based on the severity of your misalignment issue. Each tray varies from the next since each is designed to shift teeth differently. You will wear each for about two weeks and switch to the next one in the series. They must be worn for 20-22 hours daily and removed only for cleaning and eating. If you wear them for a shorter time, your treatment will be unsuccessful. It is crucial to maintain proper oral hygiene during your Invisalign treatment. Your dentist will monitor your progress throughout your Invisalign treatment. They will ensure your teeth move as intended within the appropriate period. In addition, they will provide necessary dental care. Once you wear all the Invisalign trays, your teeth will appear straighter and more attractive.
What to Avoid During Invisalign TreatmentYou must take proper care of your mouth and Invisalign aligners during treatment. Below are significant things to avoid during orthodontics with Invisalign.
- Avoid neglecting your oral hygiene. Clean your mouth and aligners frequently to avoid gum infections, decay, or discoloration.
- Do not drink anything other than cold water or eat while wearing your aligners. Remove the trays when to avoid damaging or staining them.
- Avoid taking out your trays for too long to prevent treatment failure. Ensure they remain in your mouth for 20-22 hours daily.
What to Expect After Invisalign TreatmentAfter wearing all your trays, you should visit the dentist. The expert will determine if the treatment is successful or if you need additional trays. Generally, treatment is complete if your teeth are straighter and not crowded, crooked, or twisted. Also, you should be able to chew and bite much more easily and comfortably. Then, they will provide custom-made, clear removable retainers from Invisalign named Vivera®. The retainers help to maintain your newly straightened smile. They ensure your teeth do not revert to their old position. Retainers must be worn for similar hours to aligners in the first few days after treatment. However, you can wear them only at night after some time.
What to Avoid After Invisalign TreatmentOnce you complete wearing the sets of Invisalign trays, you must visit the dentist. The dentist in New York, NY, will ensure your teeth are straightened as intended, and your smile is perfect. After your treatment, there are certain things you should avoid. Below are some of them.
- Avoid taking out your retainers frequently. Also, avoid leaving them outside the mouth for too long. Wear them as instructed by the dentist to help maintain the position of your new smile.
- You should avoid taking hard and chewy foods in the first few months after treatment. Your jaw starts to harden after treatment as your teeth adjust to new positions. Therefore, they are likely to get damaged when you take these foods earlier.
- Avoid neglecting your oral hygiene after Invisalign treatment. Most people are vigilant during treatment but relax their oral hygiene habits afterwards. As a result, food and bacteria get trapped in their retainers leading to gum inflammation and tooth decay.